Sunday, June 27, 2021

Summer is coming!

This past week, Br. Luc was on the second week of his vacation in Santa Barbara, CA. Br. Robert James was on retreat at Linwood Spiritual Center in Rhinebeck, NY. I was on the tail end of my retreat at Eastern Point Retreat House in Gloucester, MA.

On Thursday morning came the sad news that our Brother Adrian Gill, stationed at Holy Cross Priory in Toronto, had died of a heart attack. Adrian was 73 years old and in the 45th year of his life profession. Please pray for all those who love him and those he loved. We sung the Office of the Dead on Friday. Eventually, his remains will come to rest in the columbarium in our crypt below Saint Augustine Church.

On Saturday, we had another in person Associate reception. Steve Zhitnik, of Hartford, CT, came over for a couple of  days with his wife Ann. It is so good to be able to do these things in person with those who are vaccinated.

Monks and Associate. From top left, clockwise: Br. Carl reading and studying in his office (two pictures); an archival picture of our deceased Brother Adrian Gill; new Associate Steve Zhitnik and Br. Josép at the reception ceremony during mass on Satruday (two pictures)


I had an excellent silent directed retreat in Gloucester, MA. This is my fourth eight day retreat there. I met with my assigned spiritual director for a half hour every day. I prayed, I read, I took walks, I rested thoroughly. I love to be near the ocean. I am pondering eventually doing a thirty day retreat there to do the ignatian Spiritual Excercises.

Some good spots on the grounds of the Eastern Point Retreat House. From top left, clockwise: resting with a view of Brace Rock in the middle distance; all the Adirondack chairs have their ocean view; my favorite spot shielded from the afternoon sun; low tide view from my favorite Adirondack chair.

The Retreat House is on a peninsula in the village of Gloucester, part of the Cape Ann region. The Peninsula has a large pond (Niles Pond) beloved of aquatic birds. On walks along the peninsula you can admire beautiful private homes, little beaches and fishing port docks stacked with lobster cages.

On Eastern Point. From top left clockwise: a view of Niles Pond; lobster cages on a dock near the Rocky Neck Art Colony with two of the three windmills that power the village; a view of Eastern Point Retreat House from across Brace Cove; ducks with ducklings on Niles Pond (also center picture); water lilies on Niles Pond.

At the Retreat House, I often read a couple of articles in the Boston Globe which appeared every morning in the Library. I also took advantage of the many coloring books on offer in a craft and puzzles room. And I read quite a bit. I started Mirabai's Starr's translation of Julian of Norwich's "Showings." had always been daunted by the Middle English text. Starr's version made the text accessible for me.

From top left, clockwise: the view from my room's balcony; discarded lobster cage floaters crop up in decorations; a friendly neighbor's book nook (I adopted one of their tomes); coloring as a contemplative practice (two pictures).

The vegetation on Eastern Point was a couple of weeks behind of what it is in West Park. Dogwoods and peonies were still blooming. The weahter is also about ten degrees cooler than our Mid-Hudson Valley climate which was very welcome.

Eastern Point blooms. From top left, clockwise: a little red bug visiting common milkweed (also beloved of butterflies); a dogwood bush; cream-colored lilies; a mixed border of various roses and sage; an arrangement of  roses and sage in the "ballroom" where mass is celebrated every day; back to West Park for the center picture of our Lady and Child enjoying two garlands of carnations offered by newlyweds. 


It's good to be home. It's getting warmer (and sometimes humid); Summer is coming!

Be safe, get the vaccine. If you already have gotten it, tell people how liberating it is.

No comments: