Sunday, August 1, 2021

Family visit in Belgium and church improvements

In the last three weeks, at various times, Brother John and Brother Bob have been on vacation cum family visits. Matthew and Yanick have been on a family visit in the North of France. And I have been on a family visit in Belgium.

It had been three years since I had had substantial time to visit some of my family and some of my friends. To visit my extended family and see more of my friends would require a few more weeks than the two I visited (sigh).

My visit was marked by contrasts. Friends and family. Rain, floods, cool weather and al fresco meals and pool dips.

I stayed with my brother Benoit (the eldest) and my sister-in-law Annick. The second week, we were joined by my niece Coline and her two cats (for a total of four cats and one labrador in the household).

The first week, Belgium suffered catastrophic floodings. The village of Court-Saint-Etienne where my brother lives was affected but suffered no casualties. The country suffered 37 dead in three days and several disappeared people still. My brother's house is not near the river Dyle that crosses the village so his house was fine.

Other than that, the weather was warmed up enough to enjoy the (heated) pool in their garden.

Contrasts. From top left, clockwise: me and my brother Benoit; it was cool enough for a fire once or twice; narsturtium blooms on Cavaillon melon slices on my friend Sheila's terrace; al fresco breakfast on my brother and sister-in-law's terrace; blooming artichokes in a urban farm my friend Sheila volunteers in.

Quality time with some of my friends was one of the great blessings of this trip.

Friends. From top left, clockwise: I've known my friend Sheila since high school: I've known my friend Olivier and his wife Marie-Do since university; my friend Sheila organized a lunch for some of my friends (from left, Marie-Noelle who became a friend in Boston 20 years ago, me, Véronique who became a friend at work for JP Morgan in Brussels 30 years ago, my high school friend Sheila whom I've known the longest amongst my friends); two of my late friend Bruno Crabbé's four children (Emilio who makes violins in Taiwan and Mailys who studies in Brussels); with my friend Véronique and her daughter Anna.

When in Belgium, I have a few "pilgrimages" to make. I love the Grand'Place in Brussesls with its baroque gilded guildhalls. I used to live in the neighborhood for nine years. I also sample some new Belgian beers and tip my glass with a few old ones. And of course, I eat chocolates. A two week visit to Belgium usually adds to my girth and I have to be more vertuous for weeks after that...

Bernard sampling Belgium. From top left, clockwise: on Brussels' Grand'Place with the townhall belfry in the background; Grand'Place with some of the guildhalls in the back; my friend Olivier had great glee in capturing me drinking a new-to-me dark ale called "Hérétique"; a butterfly enjoying a relaxing moment with me in the garden; good old faithtul Trappist Beers are a must (here I'm drinking my favorite one; Triple Westmalle)

On my way back home, I made sure to buy two "ballotins" (elegant chocolate boxes) of dark Neuhaus chocolates for my Brothers. It's a habit that makes my return to the monastery from Belgium popular... !

I am now back to supervising the various capital projects going on at the monastery. We are making progress on the redoing of the Middle House tile roof. I am concerned that delays in backup electricity supply to the new elevator might delay its inauguration beyond our September Guest House reopening. The new oaken doors to the sacristy and Middle House hallway are being installed. They will be stained to match the double door into the church's side transept. We are also refinishing the floorboards in the main transept of the church and the back "visitors gallery." As a result, we are exiled to the enclosure's Chapter Room for chanting the divine office and celebrating mass for several days.

So much improvement has happened to the physical fabric of the monastery in the last five years. We are very grateful to all our regular donors and those who contributed to our 2017 Capital Campaign.

Continuing to enhance our worship space. From top left, clockwise: blooming agapanthus welcome visitors; choir stalls stored out of the way for refinishing the floorboards; the sanded floor looks like new; after a first coat of oil (several will be applied); the new sacristy door is still being fitted in; as is the door to the Middle House hallway.

Come and check it all out this fall! But don't forget to get vaccinated first. We can do this!

2 comments:

longmeadow said...

Thank you so very much, Bernard for "seeing" some of your family, friends , Bruxelles -
& what you consume alcoholically! It's a pleasure to see a friend in the context of his original environment.
And for the update on the Monastery & church -great to view what it actually looks like -before - hopefully- some of us get back there.
blessings for you & the Brothers,
Laurel

longmeadow said...

Thank you so very much, Bernard for "seeing" some of your family, friends , Bruxelles -
& what you consume alcoholically! It's a pleasure to see a friend in the context of his original environment.
And for the update on the Monastery & church -great to view what it actually looks like -before - hopefully- some of us get back there.
blessings for you & the Brothers,
Laurel